Calling All Singers!! We need you!
Music pupils from Lliswerry High School, working with composer Richard Barnard and director Kate Willetts, have created seven beautiful songs about the Lysaght Institute across the ages: exploring the music and memories of the building of the Institute the 1920’s; dancing with GI’s in the 1930’s; discos and parties in the 1970’s; the building derelict at the turn of the century; new life as the building is used again today.
We were planning to stage them in the Institute itself but we can’t do that at the moment! So we need you to help us create an online virtual Lysaght Musical.
Here’s what you have to do:
- Download the score below
- Get to know the songs by listening to them on our soundcloud playlist
- Choose which songs you want to record – you can record them all or just one or two – whatever you want
- Record your tracks on your phone either as an audio track or video track – below are some top tips on how to record from our partners at C.O.B.R.A. Studios!
- Fill out our online permission form to make sure you give us permission to use your video or audio. Make sure you get a parent to do this if you are under 18.
- Send us your recordings or videos. You might need to use We Transfer to do this (it’s totally free!). Email all the material to firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for sending tracks & videos is FRIDAY 10th JULY!!
Operasonic is creating the Lysaght Musical as part of Loving the Lysaght, a community project run by Linc Cymru and funded through the Heritage Lottery Fund. The project works with the local community to build a picture of the history of the Lysaght Institute Newport, through stories, workshops, events and research. From 1928 when the Lysaght Institute first opened its doors until today, the venue has created memories for Newport for over 90 years. Thanks to National Lottery Heritage Fund, the project has been able to hear personal stories and memories and to research some of the local history, putting the collection on the Lysaght Timeline for all to treasure.